Friday, September 10, 2010

(Interpol)

Just finished my first listen-through of Interpol's new album... "Interpol".

Let me start by saying that I absolutely LOVE "Antics" and was pleasantly surprised when "Our Love To Admire" kept a very similar tone.  I saw "Our Love" as almost a sequel album.  Throwing them on shuffle together made it just seem like it was just a double album.  Normally, people might be against a band not really 'growing' with their next album, but I dug it.

Between "Our Love" and "Interpol", Paul Banks, lead singer and guitarist, took up a side project, "Julian Plenti" and released the first album, "Julian Plenti is... Skyscraper".  Because Bank's vocals are so unique, this album sounded very similar to his work with Interpol. Thought, this time, he kept it very minimal and tried to go a little more experimental with it.  I enjoyed it enough, but not nearly to the lengths that I loved "Antics" and "Our Love To Admire".

That's where "Interpol" comes into play.  It sounds more like a Julian Plenti album than an Interpol album.  That's both a good and bad things.  No, screw that; honestly, it's a bad thing.  Of course, the album is FAR from bad, but it's also far from what I was hoping for.  I'm not going to waste too much time going in depth about its actual musicianship because I'm not that kind of listener.  I don't try and dissect things, especially during the first listen-through.  I just didn't really "feel it".

I might just need more time to digest it.  And normally, when I don't like an album off the bat, it's a good thing.  All of my favorite bands, minus Ratatat because they're god-tier, have taken multiple listens for me to even begin to realize their greatness.  Hopefully, this will do just that.

16 comments:

  1. awesome, ill have to check them out on you tube...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will have to check out their new work. After 'Turn On The Bright Lights' I haven't really given them much time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are a good band, great to blog to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just downloaded the album and will try it for myself soon. I went to go see them last month in Miami and their new music sounded pretty good, then again everything sounds better loud. And I agree about not liking some music right away. I hated antics when I first listened to it, now its one of my favorite albums.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the picture is really cool, a lot of album art these days is so bland.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy 9/11!

    http://chancoop.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. they aint bad :]

    Here, have some love <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Great Post Man! Just Passing By Your Blog To Show Some Support Take Care !

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed this album quite a bit, good review. Following you daily, brother.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woah that was awesome! Check out what I got!

    http://cptawesome91.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool stuff, following.

    ryukonsblab.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete